Monday, November 8, 2010

New Reading: Aspergirls by Rudy Simone


I ordered Rudy Simone's book Aspergirls, and it got here last week. I can't wait to read it and see what it holds in store for me! I'd be reading it right now if I didn't have to read about the Confederacy's little-discussed use of African-American troops right now.

I've been skimming it a little bit here and there, though, because now when someone misunderstands me I can pull up a passage from the book and read it to them or have them read it, and suddenly I make more sense to people. It's been really useful in the few days I've owned it.

There are a few quotes that absolutely and completely define me in here that I've come across so far, especially this one:

"Being a goofy but intellectual tomboy is normal in our world."


That's me in a nutshell. That is exactly who I've been my entire life. It's so nice to see that somebody else has pointed that out and described it and put that feeling into words. I used to say to people that growing up, it was more like my younger brother had an older brother than an older sister, or that I was a straight female who acted like a stereotypical male. Now it finally feels normal and I'm not ashamed to be me. A lot of people thought I was weird because I wasn't 'girly' enough, and I never understood why they felt that way. It just made no sense whatsoever.

Thank you for this book, Rudy Simone. I can't wait to read it cover to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment