Monday, March 26, 2012

Asperger's And Gender Roles

Ells (left), a creation of mine, doesn't adhere to gender roles.
Growing up, I was a tomboy. To be honest, I turn 23 in one month and I still am a tomboy. It's generally not such a big deal - it's more socially acceptable for girls these days - but it got me thinking the other day. I was rereading my copy of Rudy Simone's Aspergirls, and there was a chapter in there on gender roles. I read it through...and realized why I have so much trouble with certain things.

The fact of the matter is that I'm not just a tomboy: I don't adhere to gender roles. I don't see a need for gender roles. The only reason humans come in two physical genders is so that they can procreate and make more humans. Sexuality itself is very fluid and isn't tied to gender at all - people can be straight, gay, bi, trans, cis, pansexual, asexual - and yet based on our biology, we're slotted into two distinct groups by society and are raised to fit certain patterns of behavior. When we don't fit those patterns, we're ostracized.

It's one thing for a girl to be a tomboy. More and more girls are shedding the 'girly girl' image these days, and that makes me feel a lot better about myself and others like me who were never seen as particularly 'feminine.' As it becomes more and more socially acceptable, it makes it easier for people like myself. However, here's my snag: not only do I do things more commonly associated with men, but I do them like men. I have somewhat male speech patterns, dress in fashions that are basically men's tailored to a female body, prefer punching people to mind games when it comes to settling disputes, and even picture myself taking a knee and proposing to my future husband.

Things like this make it genuinely surprising to most people when they find out I'm straight. I'm assumed to be a lesbian more often than I would like, and that's not fair to either me or lesbians - lesbians don't fit a strict label, so don't assume they're all butch macho women. I have a friend from high school who's a lesbian, and she's one of the most feminine people I've ever met.

Here are the problems I've struggled with since I don't follow along with society's plan for me:
  • Dating is hard. It's another social construct, and since I'm not the stereotypical girl, I always end up friend-zoned as one of the guys...or not even approached, because, as mentioned above, people think I'm a lesbian due to stereotypes.
  • Growing up, it was really, really hard to find role models. I turned to fiction and still didn't find too many girls like me, save Eowyn from Lord of the Rings (thank God for ladies like Hermione and Katniss lately). In the end, I created many of my own, the most notable being Ells Robbins (see image), who is now the lead character in my webcomic The Historians. Other girls in that comic don't adhere to gender roles in some ways, but Ells basically defies them at every turn (including being a racecar driver on the weekends and making more sex jokes than the average twelve-year-old boy). However, to make myself feel better about my own prospects, I gave Ells a love interest (Clyde, next to her in the image), and plan on eventually getting them together.
  • People don't know what to think of me. I've got great parenting and nurturing instincts, which I've honed my entire life with my cats (and now sheepdogs), yet I don't fit society's description of what a mother should be. I'm a girl who thrives on history, sports, comic books and cars, yet I treat people very gently and tenderly unless they piss me off or are terrible people.
Defying gender roles is, according to Rudy Simone, quite common in girls with Asperger's. It's also visible in boys with Asperger's, which leads to them being teased by their peers mercilessly. Again, these boys might not be gay, either, but simply doing what they enjoy regardless of whether or not it makes them fit in. I was fortunate growing up and my parents supported my interests no matter what they were, but many people are less accepting. To parents reading this - the most important thing you can do is accept your children for who they are and love them no matter what. They may be different, yes, but you need to teach them that there is a place for them in this world by accepting them and loving them first. It will help give them the confidence to be themselves going forward.

And really, society, when did being ourselves become such a crime, anyway? I'm certainly not going to compromise who I am just to make some judgmental people happy, and neither should anybody else.

13 comments:

  1. I always felt like I had about a 25% female identity. It got me picked on in school, but later in life I feel like it helped me relate to some of the women, not many, maybe only 10% or so. Seems like most women respect the macho bad-boy type guys much more. Only a few appreciate a sensitive introverted guy who is smart and soft spoken. I think you and I both would have been better off being born 100 years ago when TV and mass media didn't spread around images of what males and females should be and gender roles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny - that's exactly what I'm attracted to in a guy. The bad boy thing just never made sense to me at all.

      I seem to live in the 19th century in my head, so that's not surprising (except as a girl I wouldn't be allowed to do ANYTHING, gah!). Otherwise, it works well - men were expected to be genteel and polite to be considered gentlemen, so that's probably why I find men like that so attractive...

      Delete
    2. Yes, I guess they did have some gender roles back then too. But in a lot of ways it seems like it would have been less restricting with less stigma for those who fell outside those gender roles. Some women did whatever they wanted back then, and they weren't ostracized for it. I think child rearing and family life was a bigger value back then, and they didn't have baby formula or a child care industry, so women's role was more defined by nature too. But women like Ada Lovelace (probably also an aspie) lived back then and she pursued her special interest and married and had 3 kids and was highly respected as far as I know. Also Elizabeth Barrett Browning was a writer, and I bet she was an aspie because I have an aspie friend who descends directly from her. I think the 19th century would have been much kinder to us aspies. We were born in the wrong century.

      Delete
    3. I always picture myself as one of those early scientist steampunk ladies, to be honest. I could see myself slotting right in there. As long as I didn't become a sexual deviant, I think things might have worked out for me.

      On a related note, if I ever have a daughter I plan to name her after Ada Lovelace and Marie Curie (Ada Marie).

      Delete
    4. Very cool!! I thought I remembered having a discussion with you about Ada before. In college I took a class that covered various programming languages, including one from the 1970s called Ada which was named after her. As far as I know the Ada language is no longer used.

      Mark Twain is one of my favorite writers and I grew up near the Mississippi River, so I always dreamed of being like the kids in "Life on the Mississippi" or "Huckleberry Finn", riding around on steamboats or homemade rafts when the river was still wild. Kind of a similar fantasy as yours in some ways.

      Delete
    5. My dad remembers Ada, too - he started out as a programmer and he's an IT exec now. I should bug him and see if he can write some code in it.

      That actually sounds really fun...and yet relaxing and freeing at the same time. Stupid civilization getting in the way.

      Delete
    6. There's NO WAY he will remember any Ada code without cheating and looking on the Internet. I don't think it has been used since the 70s. We only studied it to learn about the history of programming languages, kind of like a historical perspective on how programming languages evolved and why. But if he really could remember actual Ada code without cheating I would be extremely impressed. I'm sure he never used it outside of his college classes. You should ask him.

      Delete
    7. So I just looked it up, and it looks like Ada is still in use, but only by the Department of Defense and other very mission critical applications and embedded systems. I imagine it might be what they use to program drone aircrafts or something like that. In my 20 years as a software engineer, I have never seen a job requirement for an Ada programmer and have never met another programmer who has used it.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I don't feel so weird anymore. I always felt 40% male and 60%female. I also got bullied and teased relentlessly in school and I have aspergers. Such a tomboy growing up. I cut my hair short and have been asked many times (by children) if i am a guy or girl. Lol. Once, a woman asked my exboyfriend, what's his name(refering to me) he kindly said, his name is samantha. She was so embarrassed, but we just laughed. Thank you all. I feel much better and much less alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats funny, cuz im the opposite, a guy with long hair, and ppl mistake me for a girl from behind sometimes.

      Delete
    2. I've been mistaken for a guy more than once! It doesn't help that I'm always wearing hats, I suppose. I don't really care too much about it at this point, but when I was in high school I didn't understand how people thought I was male on occasion.

      You're not alone - there's plenty Aspergirl tomboys out there! <3

      Delete
  3. I'm the same way, I feel divided between masc and fem, or sort of combined / in the middle. I'm male and I get "ma'am-ed" sometimes because of my hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a pretty common trait amongst Aspergians, I'm finding - we don't exactly fit neatly into the gender binary (or gender roles, for that matter)!

      Delete