Monday, October 21, 2013

Living With A Walking Sensory Overload

So my grandmother's moved in with us now.

It's not exactly the greatest arrangement in the world for me, but I've managed so far. It's definitely difficult for me, though, because she's been the impetus of many, many sensory overloads over the years for me, and I'm not certain how long I'll be able to tolerate the added noise and disturbances in my home environment. I'm also concerned because I don't make enough money to move out and get away, and those times when I do manage to escape are work and school, which are exhausting on their own.

Basically, I'm probably not going to be able to handle this very well and I know it, and the fact that I know it is eating away at me because I'm 24 and have been through a ton of therapy and feel like I should be able to. In the end, I'm still a slave to my own biology, and loud people who never stop talking are crippling to me. It actually makes me feel bad about myself because I feel like I've grown so much and yet this one thing can still bring me to my knees.

To be fair, she's already been driving my parents up the wall, too, so I'm not alone. I'm just really dismayed and disheartened that I can't handle this as well as I'd like to be able to.

I have a distinct feeling that it's going to be easier to have an infant child in the house than having my grandmother in the house. Help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment